Abschlussarbeit/Thesis (EN) AI/Logic: Ruleset Complexity Analysis in a Constraint-based Product Configurator
The constraint-based product configurator CAS Merlin has to solve an NP-complete problem after every user click. Therefore, in the worst case, each click may take exponential time (in the size of the product structure) to evaluate. Considering the high complexity of the products of our customers (even the smaller ones) this leads to astronomical values. Fortunately, in most cases we are very far away from the worst case and most configuration clicks are evaluated in a fraction of a second. Nevertheless, the actual computation time may be anywhere between a few milliseconds and billions of years. The goal of this thesis is to design and implement a way to improve the upper bound, i.e., to automatically estimate the complexity of configuration clicks for a given product ruleset. This would be very useful for a modeler, that could use this information to tweak the rules of their products in order to improve the configuration performance.
- Do a literature research to assemble a list of algorithms for (propositional logic) clause set complexity estimation.
- Evaluate these methods and identify those that are applicable in a constraint based product configurator like Merlin.
- Possibly invent and develop your own novel methods.
- Implement and experimentally evaluate the applicable methods in Merlin using real-world customer data.
- Summarize the results in your thesis and/or scientific publication(s).
- You can find, read and understand scientific papers relevant for a given topic.
- Can write performant Java code (fast running programs).
- Not being scared off by hard (NP-Hard) problems.
- Creativity in approaching hard problems.
- Communicating your ideas clearly and precisely in English.
- Working together with others in German is also easy for you.
Benefits of your thesis at CAS
- An ideal environment for you and your thesis: With us you can spend 100% of your worktime on your thesis where you combine state-of-the-art research with real industry use-cases.
- Professional supervision of your thesis in the CAS Future Labs in Karlsruhe: Every year we accompany many students to their successful graduation - you too can benefit from our experience.
- Get to know the CAS culture (offline and online): by working with business coaches and taking part in many other interactive formats. You will experience our unique WeSpirit and make connections across multiple units.
Referentin People & WeCulture
Are you interested?
Then apply now with your complete documents, including your resume, your most recent transcript of records and optionally a letter of motivation.