Abschlussarbeit/Thesis (EN) Search Heuristics: Decision Heuristics in a Constraint-based Product Configurator
The constraint-based product configurator CAS Merlin is at its core an optimizing SAT (Boolean Satisfiability) solver. Merlin's core algorithm, similarly to academic SAT solvers, is based on heuristic search of (partial) truth assignments. The performance of the search highly depends on the guidance of a branching (also called decision) heuristic. There already exist many decision heuristics developed for classical SAT and MaxSAT solving, however, they may not all be efficient in our product configurator, since there are certain differences between Merlin and a standard SAT/MaxSAT solver. The topic of the thesis is to implement and experimentally evaluate various existing (and newly invented by the author) decision heuristics in the product configurator Merlin.
- Do a literature research to assemble a list of decision heuristics for SAT (Boolean Satisfiability) and MaxSAT (Maximum Satisfiability) solvers.
- Evaluate these heuristics and identify those, which may be suitable for our product configurator Merlin.
- Invent and develop your own novel decision heuristic(s).
- Implement and experimentally evaluate the collected heuristics in Merlin using real-world customer data.
- Summarize the results in your thesis and/or scientific publication(s).
- Reading and understanding scientific papers.
- Can write performant Java code (fast running programs).
- Not being scared off by hard (NP-Hard) problems.
- Communicating your ideas clearly and precisely in English.
- Working together with others in German is also easy for you.
Benefits of your thesis at CAS
- An ideal environment for you and your thesis: With us you can spend 100% of your worktime on your thesis where you combine state-of-the-art research with real industry use-cases.
- Professional supervision of your thesis in the CAS Future Labs in Karlsruhe: Every year we accompany many students to their successful graduation - you too can benefit from our experience.
- Get to know the CAS culture (offline and online): by working with business coaches and taking part in many other interactive formats. You will experience our unique WeSpirit and make connections across multiple units.
Referentin People & WeCulture
Are you interested?
Then apply now with your complete documents, including your resume, your most recent transcript of records and optionally a letter of motivation.